Fake IDs are a constant problem on college campuses, and many underage students don’t really understand the risks they are taking when they try to sneak into a bar or purchase alcohol with a fake ID. Today, we’re going to take a closer look at fake ID crimes and penalties.
Fake ID Issues
Under Illinois law, it is illegal to use, possess or distribute fraudulent identification cards or driver’s licenses. According to 15 ILCS 335/14B:
It is a violation of this Section for any person to knowingly possess, display, or cause to be displayed any fraudulent identification card.
It is also illegal to knowingly possess without authority any identification card making implement, to knowingly possess any stolen identification card making implement and to knowingly duplicate, manufacture, sell or transfer any fraudulent identification card.
Fake ID Penalties
The penalties for possessing, using or manufacturing a fraudulent ID in Illinois are severe. You may be surprised to learn that the State of Illinois has the authority to suspend or revoke a person’s driving privileges, even without a conviction, of any person who violates the state’s law regarding fake IDs or driver’s licenses. Your driving privileges can be suspended for up to a year, or revoked for a minimum of one year.
Possession and distribution of fake IDs in Illinois can be punished by either a misdemeanor or felony charge. You can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor, which carries a potential penalty of up to one year in jail and fines up to $2,500 for any of the following:
- Lending your ID to a friend or family member for their personal use.
- Borrowing an ID from someone else to use.
- And Card Id License Information Florida Possessing a falsified ID (an ID card created by a government office with knowingly false information).
- Providing documentation with the purpose of obtaining a fake ID.
- Altering or attempting to alter your government issued ID.
You can be charged with a Class 4 Felony, which is punishable by 1-3 years in prison and fines up to $25,000, for committing any of the following actions:
- A second violation of any of the above misdemeanors.
- And Card Id License Information Florida Possessing a fraudulent ID (An ID created by someone other than a government office).
- Possessing equipment to reproduce fraudulent IDs.
- Advertising, distributing, producing or selling fake IDs.
A second violation of any of the above felonies will be upgraded to a Class 3 felony, which is punishable by up to seven years in prison and up to $25,000 in fees.
If you or someone you know has been arrested for possession or manufacturing a fake ID in Illinois, you’re going to want to hire an experienced fake ID lawyer. You can face serious penalties and the loss of your license, so let us go to work for you.